Add a Storytelling Boost to Your Peer-to-Peer Fundraising
Are you looking to take your peer-to-peer fundraising (P2P) campaign to the next level? Incorporating storytelling into your P2P strategy is a surefire way to connect with new donors and increase your impact.
Here are five P2P storytelling tips to help your organization’s campaign stand out from the crowd:
- Get Personal: Encourage your fundraisers to share their personal story. Chances are that your fundraisers have joined your campaign because they have a personal connection to your mission. Even so, many people do not have the tools or time to share their story in a meaningful way. That is why it is essential to empower them with ideas, prompts, and inspiration to get the ball rolling. P2P is about real people and real change. Whether it’s through testimonials, photos, or videos, personalizing your P2P campaign will give donors a reason to connect.
- Evoke Emotion: Using language that evokes emotions like hope, inspiration, and empowerment will motivate donors to make a difference by giving a gift. As you prepare your fundraisers, it is crucial to consider what emotions your storyteller may experience while writing and sharing. We encourage you to check out our webinar with Maria Bryan on trauma-informed storytelling. Watch the recording to gain practical and actionable insights and tools to implement and share trauma-informed storytelling practices.
- Be Authentic: Authenticity builds trust and credibility with your donors. It is important to be clear about your fundraising goals with everyone, including your fundraisers! Similarly, your fundraisers need to have a clear goal and a reasonable plan to reach it. One way to promote authenticity is to show how far the dollars donated will go with real, relatable examples.
- Make it Shareable: Social media is a powerful tool for peer-to-peer fundraising campaigns. Creating shareable images or short videos that P2P fundraisers can post on their own social media accounts to spread your nonprofit’s message to a wider audience. The more your message is shared, the more awareness and support for your cause. (Yes, we have a whole kit to help you!) The key is to make sure your fundraisers share accurate information and do not misrepresent your organization.
- Use Data: While it may not be the most exciting aspect of storytelling, data can be a powerful tool for demonstrating the impact of your organization’s work. Share success stories and supporting statistics that show the difference your organization is making in your community. Donors want to know that their contributions will make a real impact, and data will help you prove it.
By incorporating these storytelling tips into your peer-to-peer fundraising campaign, you’ll be well on your way to standing out from the crowd and increasing your impact. Get creative, have fun with it, and most importantly, show your donors the incredible impact they can make by supporting your cause.
We can make a difference together. Keep telling great stories!
About the Author
Community Manager, MemoryFox
Celine has storytelling in her bones. A theater major, she is well-versed in the power of words and emotion. She is extremely dedicated to the WNY Region economic and job development, giving others the opportunity to pursue their passion and develop through the arts.