As nonprofit marketers, we often hear about the significance of emphasizing our Mission Moments. But, what exactly is the power of mission moments, and how can we utilize it to boost impact?
In a recent episode of Storytelling With A Purpose, Sabrina Walker Hernandez, CEO of Supporting World Hope, nonprofit marketing expert, and mission moment advocate, shared her insights:
“Begin each board meeting with a ‘mission moment‘.”
Your objective is DUAL:
- Stories keep the board connected to your nonprofit’s mission.
- Enable board members to amass a collection of stories they can share within the community, particularly with potential donors.
How can you get started?
Invite clients to narrate their own experiences. Introduce a furry or feathery friend at the next animal shelter board meeting. Present an artifact or artwork at a museum or art gallery meeting, accompanied by its story. Showcase a slideshow or video of the areas you protect for land conservation organizations.
It all begins with assembling a collection of Community-Generated Content and integrating mission moments into your marketing strategy.
By gathering powerful stories from clients, volunteers, staff, board of directors, and donors, you can establish a clear connection between your organization’s mission and the communities you serve.
Here are a few ways to incorporate mission moment storytelling into your marketing efforts:
- Share Written Stories: Narrate how donations have made a difference in the lives of those your nonprofit serves. Focus on individual stories of impact. Check out the recording of our recent webinar with Michael Kass, where we discuss ethically collecting stories.
- Use Video: Show the impact of donations through videos on social media channels, emails, or your website. Connect with your fundraising and client-facing staff, and plan to collect video content throughout the year during your nonprofit’s programs and events. It’s time for a “videobooth” instead of a “photobooth”! Fox Tip: This is where we can help! If you’re not already one of our amazing storytellers, connect with a member of our team to set up a demo and see how MemoryFox can scale your storytelling efforts.
- Feature Donors: Showcase donors in mission moments to express gratitude for their support and foster relationships. Use donor testimonials to understand WHY they contribute to your mission specifically. A personal connection between donors and the mission is crucial for donor retention.
Use the power of mission moments as a helpful tool for nonprofit marketers and fundraisers to build relationships, engage donors, and share impactful content with your community.
About the Author
Community Manager, MemoryFox
Celine has storytelling in her bones. A theater major, she is well-versed in the power of words and emotion. She is extremely dedicated to the WNY Region economic and job development, giving others the opportunity to pursue their passion and develop through the arts.